Monday, September 12, 2011

Vacation Gone Bad

Well, we are home. We had to cut our vacation 3 days short. All I can say is I think there is a dark cloud following us. No matter where we are, it seems bad things keep happening. It all started last Sunday. We had pizza for dinner and for 12 hours after I became very sick. It started out as mild upper back pain on the right hand side....where my gallbladder would be but in the back. I figured it was just back pain from sleeping on an uncomfortable bed. The pain felt deeper than my back since when Tony rubbed it I couldn't feel relief. It was mild pain and went away shortly after I felt it which was in the morning. Then around lunch time, it started to hurt again but worse than the first time. I went and sat on the couch, took a 600 mg advil, and then felt better. Feeling great, Tony, Tony's baby brother Matthew, his fiancee Sara, Riley, and I all headed to a driving range and picked up Papa Murphy's on the way home. I was in the middle of dinner when I felt the "back pain" again. I took another advil hoping it would go away but to my horror, it turned into severe pain. I've never felt pain like this in my life. Then started the vomiting....and not just a little. Everything I ate for dinner plus when my stomach was emtpy I threw up. It was horrible. I was literally up with this pain all night long. I couldn't get any relief no matter what I did. I took 6 total of those Advil but could not hold anything down. Then around 6 in the morning, the pain immediately went from my "back" to my upper stomach. It hurt so bad that I almost went to the hospital which was not a good thing for 2 reasons: the first being the closest hospital is not a great place to go and 2nd is because our insurance is out of network up there costing X3 as much to be seen in the er. As I was getting ready to make Tony drive me, the pain stopped and I felt better. My stomach was sore and I was exhausted but not in the pain that I was in thankfully. My called my dad who had a dr friend staying with him. I explained my symptoms and is pretty sure what I had was a gallbladder attack. Not good. I rested a lot the next day. We had a good day after that but Riley was continiously getting more and more fussy not to mention just stress going on in the family which I won't mention to protect privacy. Before we know it, we are packing our bags because we figured out that Riley has an ear infection. He was running fevers on Thursday and Friday. We gave him some tylenol and motrin to help with the pain and fever but it was no use. We called our pediatrician knowing exactly what was wrong with him. Pulling at the ear, pain to the touch, fever, fussiness......it does not take genious to figure out what was wrong. Plus, Tony being an RN we knew what was happening. We called our pediatrician and found out that due to being out of state, our pediatrician will not write for anything....not even an antibiotic because she has to see him. We were furious. Thus we packed our bags and ended up taking him to an urgent care on Friday morning when we left. Holy Cow! An ear infection......big flipping surprise. We got our antibiotic and asked for tylenol with codeine to help with the pain. We got home last night. Riley is starting to feel a little bit better but still is not feeling well and we have found a tooth trying to break through. Nice last half of vacation :(

No comments:

Post a Comment